Incoherent white American resentment

by Ari Rutenberg

Update: Just finished the article, and Palinsanity is another keeper. It should be a clinical diagnosis...

I was going to post this as a comment on Ben's earlier article about the always brilliant Matt Taibbi's latest article on Sarah Palin. But it became such a long comment that I decided it could make a post.

So in my opinion, the best phrase of Taibbi's article is: incoherent white American resentment. It truly captures what Palin, and most of these absurd objections to Obama's policies, is really about. Certain portions of white America are pissed that the world is changing, but have no idea how to articulate their objections in a useful and constructive way. So instead what we get is blind incoherent rage that prevents our system from even the most innocuous of attempts to fix some of our major, long-term problems.

The one saving grace is that we (and they) know that in 15 or 20 years, incoherent white America will be demographically irrelevant. Though that may not stop some of the more extreme members of that august group from committing pointless acts of violence in protest at their absolute powerlessness.