Richard Dawkins vs Hugh Hewitt

by Ben Cohen

I enjoy reading Richard Dawkins, but do find his tone slightly irritating and condescending. I broadly agree with Dawkins, although his militant atheism is, in my view, slightly narrow minded. However, when it comes to debating disingenuous corporate Right Wing hacks like Hugh Hewitt, I'm with him all the way.

What started out as a high brow and unusually (for Hewitt at least) intelligent debate on evolution, turned into a silly point scoring contest with Hewitt arguing that Jesus Christ did in fact walk on water and turn water into wine. Check this back and forth (h/t Sullivan):

RD: I cannot believe that you’re doing more than just trying to
score points. You cannot seriously be saying that the case for the
existence of the Roman Empire is as weak as for Jesus.

HH: That’s not what I’m saying at all. I didn’t say that. I said
that your argument, by analogy, to a Latin teacher being harried by
people who deny certain things, but especially your idea of a detective
using evidence at a crime scene, that it doesn’t comport with your
dismissal of the evidence for Christianity and the historical Jesus.

RD: Okay, do you believe Jesus turned water into wine?

HH: Yes.

RD: You seriously do?

HH: Yes.

RD: You actually think that Jesus got water, and made all those molecules turn into wine?

HH: Yes.

RD: My God.

HH: Yes. My God, actually, not yours. But let me…

RD: I’ve realized the kind of person I’m dealing with now.