Public vs Private Logic Gone Mad

by Ben Cohen

Bob Cesca points out the inherent flaw in the 'public option will kill private insurance'' argument people like Michele Bachmann like to trot out with a brilliant and very simple analogy:

When I was in New York a couple weeks ago, I took a cab from Penn
Station to the West Village. Cost: $8 for a private transportation
service (not counting tip). For the ride back to Penn Station, I hopped
on the subway. Cost: $2.25, public transportation. The public option
was cheaper and faster. But there are still more than 13,000 cabs in Manhattan.

Of course, Bachmann is relying on her own logic that if applied anywhere outside her own head would explode immediately. According to the Minnesotan Congresswoman, the public option will be so effective that it will drive private insurance out of business, but also that the "Government can't compete with private industry -- they're not as
innovative, they're not as quick on their feet, they're not as cheap,
they're not as high quality."

So the government will drive private insurance companies out of business because it will be run more efficiently, but government also won't be able to compete with private insurance because that too will be run more efficiently.

Try and get your head around that one.