U.S Hypocrisy on Iran

by Ben Cohen

Glenn Greenwald beautifully illustrates the gigantic hypocrisy on Iran:

Just today, a columnist in Capehart's paper, RichardCohen, suggests we may have to attack Iran.Over the weekend, another columnist in Capehart's newspaper, DavidIgnatius, beat his chest and roared:"It’s hard to see how this one will end short of military confrontation if the Iranians don’t start bargaining for real." Last week, Capehart's EditorialPage published an attack-Iran Op-Ed from two former Senators (one from each party) who have spent the last year advocating a detailed plan for blockading, attacking, bombing and invading that country.....

And, oh yeah -- we're currently occupying two Muslim
countries on either side of Iran, having invaded them many years ago.
There's nothing Iran has done that we and our clients/allies haven't done ourselves to a far greater extent.
But remember:it's Iran that is run by people with crazy, belligerent,
fanatical, war-loving sentiments and is therefore a grave threat to
world peace(imagine if Iran had invaded, bombed and then spent the
last eight years militarily occupying Canada and Mexico, only for
Iranian media elites to keep insisting that it was the U.S. that was
the rogue state run by aggressive fanatics who threatened world peace).

I find it consistently amazing the cognitive dissonance U.S politicians and media commentators display when it comes to foreign policy. In their eyes, the U.S is always the good guy, no matter how many vile things it does, and the official enemies list is never, ever questioned. I'm not defending the Iranian government - I don't particularly like it, but you can see why they would want nuclear capability.

Why is it so difficult to see it from the other sides perspective?