Message to Obama: The World Cannot Solve America's Problems

by Ben Cohen

President Obama's speech to the U.N is to be applauded for its conciliatory tone, positiveness, and marked difference from his predecessors. The speech laid out the broad objective of multilateral engagement on a series of vitally important issues (global warming, nuclear proliferation, security issues and the global economy), and promised comprehensive American cooperation. But one phrase left me scratching my head, and it happens to be the one that most of the media is running with:

Those who used to chastise America for acting alone in the world cannot
now stand by and wait for America to solve the world’s problems alone.

I don't mean to sound negative here, but this is a bit rich coming from the nation that has in recent times, virtually single handedly undermined international attempts to curb global warming, reduce nuclear weapons, stop the Israelis and Palestinians from killing eachother, reduce international terrorism (invading two sovereign Muslim countries was probably not the best way to go about it), and stop bankers from pillaging what is left of the global economy.

Admittedly, most of this was done by the Bush Administration, but it is still a sore point for the rest of the world who stood by helplessly as the neo cons did their best to trash the planet. Obama's speech was a good one, but as a citizen of another country, I'd urge him to lay off the lecturing for at least another couple of years.