Kind Of The Point

Link

The president’s much ballyhooed address has been the subject of right-wing hand wringing since it was announced weeks ago. Several schools refused to air it. In my home, the most stinging criticism of the speech came from my younger child, who lasted 10 minutes before pronouncing it ‘boring,’ grabbing her Hannah Montana wig and leaving the room in a huff.

Lucy, on the other hand -- the child who accompanied me into a voting booth and pulled the lever last November -- thought Obama seemed ‘nice and smart.’

‘He was funny at points,’ she said, ‘but he was also serious.’ He told kids to do their homework. To stay in school. That ‘you can’t let your failures define you -- you have to let them teach you.’ At no point did either of my children turn to me and observe, ‘OMG, that is so Hitler.’