Iraqi Shoe Thrower Offered House, Cars, Healthcare, and Women Upon Release

by Ben Cohen

Muntazer al-Zaidi did what the most powerful men in the world could not. He stood up to George Bush and became the voice of millions of unheard Iraqis angry with the United States for its belligerent and violent behavior in their country.

"This is your farewell kiss, you dog. This is for the widows and orphans of Iraq", he screamed as he lobbed his shoes at the former President. For his sins, he received a lengthy prison sentence, and martyrdom in the Arab world.

And according to the Guardian, when Zaidi leaves prison next week, he will return to a life of riches and fame:

A new four-bedroom home has been built by his former boss. A new car – and the promise of many more – awaits.

Pledges of harems, money and healthcare are pouring in to his employers, the al-Baghdadia television channel.

"One Iraqi who lived in Morocco called to offer to send his daughter to be Muntazer's wife," said editor Abdul Hamid al-Saij.

"Another called from Saudi offering $10m for his shoes, and another called from Morocco offering a gold-saddled horse.

"After
the event, we had callers from Palestine and many women asking to marry
him, but we didn't take their names. Many of their reactions were
emotional. We will see what happens when he is freed."

I say, good for him. While Zaidi's actions were provocative, they were not exactly violent. In the scheme of things, Bush got off lightly given he was personally responsible for illegally invading and occupying Iraq, and most importantly, causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. If there were any real justice, the former President and his cohort of imperial loons would be in prison for war crimes and abuse of the U.S constitution. Instead, Zaidi got a prison sentence, and for that, he deserves everything he gets.