Greenwald Responds to Klein

by Ben Cohen

Glenn Greenwald responds to Joe Klein's accusation that he is a "thoroughly dishonorable person" for publishing secret emails Klein had been sending to other journalists:

When you write for 4 million people in a national political magazine
and constantly go on TVto opine, outbursts that you have about
politics at a beach party or in a club of a few hundred journalists
aren't "private"and the entire world isn't obligated to honor the
demand that it stay secret. If, tomorrow, someone provides me with
incriminating or otherwise revealing emails written by a government
official about a matter of public interest, I'm going to publish them
without first asking "permission" from the official who wrote it and
regardless of whether it will anger them. By definition, it's not
"private"even if they want it to be. There's no reason to treat
high-profile establishment journalists any differently. Other than
things Iexpressly agree to keep confidential, I'm much more interested
in revealing secrets to readers than I am in preserving
secrets.That's the nature of journalism and accountability. We need
far more transparency when it comes to the conduct and statements of
influential people in Washington, not less.