Eat This Joe Klein

by Ben Cohen

Joe Klein's descent into absurdity over the past week has been hilarious to watch. The establishment political commentator managed to get himself into the mother of all rows with Glenn Greenwald over some of his leaked emails, and has spent the past few days making ludicrous accusations that even he admits he cannot substantiate.

Klein accused Greenwald of never writing a positive word about the U.S military, then accepted a paragraph later that he hadn't actually bothered to check whether that was true or not.

Jason Linkins of the Huff Post spotted the shockingly ridiculous contradiction:

I pointed out that Klein levelled a significant and ugly charge:
that Klein had "never seen [Greenwald] write a positive sentence about
the US military," which then leads to the assertion, "Therefore, I have
seen no evidence that he cares one whit about the national security of
the United States. It is not hyperbole, it is a fact." Klein, in his
very next sentence, averred, "I am not a religious reader of
Greenwald...it's possible that I missed extensive posts in which he
praises the Armed Forces or makes positive suggestions about how to
track possible communications between terrorists abroad and their
confederates here." I pointed out that the juxtaposition of these two
sentences presented something of a contradiction.

A contradiction indeed. Especially when it turns out that Greenwald has in fact written positively about the military, as a commenter on John Cole's blog quickly discovered:

I have never seen him write a positive sentence about the US military

OK this took 30 seconds to find:

You don’t have a monopoly on supporting the troops. I
know a lot of people who vigorously oppose the war in Iraq and not a
single one of them direct any of their anger about the war or
opposition to it at the soliders, including me. Even soliders who fight
in unjust wars are typically honorable and brave.

another 5:

What kind of moral monsters would knowingly advocate
policies—such as keeping Guantanamo opened and using “enhanced
interrogation techniques”—which our top military leaders and the
Commander-in-Chief have clearly stated will help America’s enemies and
directly result in the deaths of the brave American men and women
serving overseas (and that’s to say nothing of their support for a
totally unnecessary war that sent more than 4,000 American soldiers—and
hundreds of thousands of Iraqis—to their deaths)?

If you had ever wondered why Joe Klein is frequently referred to as 'Jokeline', now you know.