Mob Makes Sen. Ben Cardin More Resolved To Make Reform

Ben Cardin, Maryland's junior Senator.

Cardin said the meetings have changed lawmakers, but probably not in the way most of those who shouted the loudest would like.

'I'm more resolved than ever,' Cardin, 65, said Thursday after his whirlwind week. 'I love debating. I'm sorry more of that couldn't happen this week because of so much of the shouting, but I personally believe the American people still want us to deal with tough problems. We're not all going to agree, that's obvious, but we're at the point we need a specific bill.'

If Cardin's experience resembles that of other lawmakers, many might return from the August recess with a sharper focus on and a greater personal stake in the issue after intense confrontations with voters close to home.