GOP Rep. John Sullivan Engages Wingnuttia

As previously noted, fringe activity happens when parties are out of power, but in a very short time the Republican party has again mainstreamed crackpot theories just as they did during the Clinton presidency.

The trend of controversial town halls contiuned on Friday when Rep. John Sullivan (R-Okla.) questioned the authenticity of President Barack Obama's birth certificate and referred to a White House 'enemies list' at a meeting in Tulsa.

'This is a scary time in Washington,' he said. 'It's a very frightening time. I see Barack Obama is creating an enemies list of people who oppose this miserable health care plan. I think that's frightening. That's from a guy that can't even show a long-form birth certificate. I think we all ought to be prepared to fight that.'

For all the faults I find with the Democratic party - timidity, disorganization chiefly among them - they simply pale in comparison to the Republican party's serial embrace of stupidity and its never-ending ignorance.