Debate Heats Up Over Google Online Library

by Ben Cohen

A fascinating row is heating up over Google's plan for the world's biggest online library. Is the search engine giant genuinely interested in benefiting the public, or is it a ploy to extend its online dominance disguised as philanthropy?

As far as I can tell, the answer really isn't clear. Google maintains it is simply following its 'Do No Harm' mantra and providing a useful service for mankind, but others believe a for profit company should have no place organizing the world's intellectual resources. While I usually side with the latter argument, if no one else is attempting to do it, then I can't see the harm.