America, Meet Instapundit

Instapundit

Of course, Obama’s plan — and Big Government in general — is all about ensuring that we don’t have the right to decide how to spend our dollars but should instead let somebody else take them at gunpoint and decide how they’re spent.

Nobody's taking anything "at gunpoint", but in this country we elect leaders, and taxes are collected, and those elected leaders decide how and when that money is spent. If we don't like how they did their job we have these things called "elections" where we judge their performance and decide whether they keep their jobs or not.

I know this is now crazy "tyranny" talk in conservativeland nowadays, but that's how our republic operates and is part of the reason why America is great.

I'm no fan of big government, but this conservative fantasy where we engage in colonial cosplay and act as if we're running 13 colonies with less than 5 million people instead of a bi-coastal nation of over 300 million has got to stop at some point.

UPDATE: Glenn Reynolds must be in favor of Democratic health care reform. Why? He says:

APPARENTLY, A CANADIAN-STYLE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM DOESN’T SOLVE THE HEALTH CRISIS.

Then he links to a story about Canadian health care. Why do I say he must be in favor of Democratic health care reform?

BECAUSE NONE OF THE LEGISLATION REMOTELY RESEMBLES A CANADIAN STYLE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

In fact, President Obama said:

The president, however, said he wouldn't use the Canadian model because the U.S. system has already been built around "a private-based health care system that stands side-by-side" with Medicare, Medicaid and Veterans Administration health care.

"I've said that the Canadian model works for Canada. It would not work for the United States, in part simply because we've evolved differently," he said. "So, we've got to develop a uniquely American approach to this problem."