Michael Jackson Overdose

By Ben Cohen

While I was a huge fan of Michael Jackson, there are limits of human endurance when it comes to remembering him. I understand the man was a big deal in American cultural history, and just about the biggest pop star to have ever lived, but the 24/7 coverage of his death for the past two weeks is bordering on the insane.

Los Angeles has literally shut down for the memorial today, and every station has a live feed from the event. Everyone who vaguely knew him has been invited to speak about their experiences with him and gush over the meaning of his life. It's nauseatingly false, andan excuse for onebig media extravaganza.The networkshave been salivating over Jackson's death, and have poured all their resources into covering it. Which would be fine if they applied the same fervor to events that really mattered (like the lack of single payer health insurance advocates on the Hill, or the massive militarysurge in Afghanistan for example).

But no, the tragic life of a deeply disturbed faded pop star trumps everything, and we must pore through every aspect of his childhood, adolescence and adult life.

No serious outlet should be covering the events in the obscene detail the major news networks are. It's a scathingindictment of just how irresponsible, greedy and shallow they really are, and a reminder that we have a long way to go in creating a serious press capable of delivering news that actually means something.