Matt Taibbi on Why the Health Care Bill Will Fail

by Ben Cohen

Matt Taibbi says what's on everyone's mind:

The reason a real health-care bill is not going to get passed is
simple: because nobody in Washington really wants it. There is
insufficient political will to get it done. It doesn’t matter that it’s
an urgent national calamity, that it is plainly obvious to anyone with
an IQ over 8 that our system could not possibly be worse and needs to
be fixed very soon, and that, moreover, the only people opposing a real
reform bill are a pitifully small number of executives in the insurance
industry who stand to lose the chance for a fifth summer house if this
thing passes.

It won’t get done, because that’s not the way our government works.
Our government doesn’t exist to protect voters from interests, it
exists to protect interests from voters.

The latest news from the Health Care debate isn't exactly heart warming. Every day, a new headline deflates the prospect of meaningful health care reform, and every day, the corporatists get closer to getting what they want.

If we do get a public option, it looks like it will be so watered down, it won't actually do anything to control costs. Here's the latest thinking on the Public plan, which the 'Blue Dogs' are successfully destroying (from the Huff Post):

For instance, rather than linking the public option to the rates
enjoyed by Medicare, the new language would require a separate
agreement with significantly higher charges, Rep. Jerrold Nadler
(D-N.Y.) said. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius
would also have to sign off on any deal between the public option and
service providers, while the plan would lack Medicare's bargaining
power.

"The public option must go out and negotiate with providers, just
like private health insurance companies do," Ross said. "It's strictly
optional. It won't be mandated on anyone. It will not be based on
Medicare rates."

Which begs the question - what's the point?