Bush's Domestic Spy Program Built On B.S. Conservative Legal Theory, Didn't Protect Us

Bush Shoe

People with brains knew this already, but here's a government report validating us.

The 38-page unclassified version of the document reaches a cautious conclusion, stating that any use of the information collected under the surveillance program 'should be carefully monitored.'

Among other things, the report cites a Justice Department conclusion that 'it was extraordinary and inappropriate that a single DOJ attorney, John Yoo, was relied upon to conduct the initial legal assessment' of the surveillance program.

'The lack of oversight and review of Yoo's work ... contributed to a legal analysis of the [program] that at a minimum was factually flawed,' it says.

The report says Yoo largely circumvented both his boss, Assistant Attorney General Jay Bybee, and Attorney General John Ashcroft.

Most of the intelligence officials interviewed by the inspectors general had, according to the report, "difficulty citing specific instances where PSP reporting had directly contributed to counterterrorism successes."

At some point, probably a long time from now, I bet we'll find out that that this program was all about monitoring the conversations of people with a (D) after their names. Especially people like John Kerry.