Barack Obama Is Fail On Don't Ask, Don't Tell

army blackhawk

Just do it.

Unlike 16 years ago, the US is waging two wars and 'Don't ask, don't tell' is no longer supported by the majority of the American people. The percentage of Americans that support allowing gay people to serve openly has risen from 44 percent in 1993 to 75 percent last year, according to Washington Post-ABC News polls.. While a 2006 Zogby International poll of returning Iraq and Afghanistan service members found that only 26 percent agreed that gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve in the military, 73 percent were personally comfortable around gays and lesbians.

There is also no credible evidence supporting the underlying arguments for retaining the law – namely that it would undermine unit cohesion and military effectiveness. In fact, government studies over the past 50 years demonstrate just the opposite.

Moreover, 24 other countries, including our closest allies, such as Britain, Israel, and Canada, allow openly gay people to serve. In fact, the British, whose military is most similar in design and function to our own, found that six months after they were forced to change their policy by the European Court of Human Rights, sexual orientation became a nonissue.

In other words, allowing openly gay men and women to serve proved more difficult in theory than in practice. Even an architect of 'Don't ask, don't tell,' Rear Adm. John Hutson, has acknowledged that the policy was 'based on nothing' but 'our own prejudices and our own fears.'