Where Have all the Democrats Gone?

Joe Lieberman by mr.frego.

By David Glenn Cox

If you live long enough you will see just about all that there is to
see, except maybe the Chicago Cubs win the World Series. I was reading
news stories and that's how I felt when I ran across this one:

“June
12 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. lawmakers are set to approve a $106 billion
war-spending bill after President Barack Obama said he would use 'every
legal and administrative remedy available' to block the release of
photos of troops abusing detainees.

Negotiators from the House
and Senate yesterday agreed on the compromise legislation after Obama
intervened in a dispute over a Republican-backed proposal to add
provisions to the bill to bar release of the photos. He wrote a letter,
read aloud to negotiators considering the war bill, promising to make
every effort to thwart an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit
seeking to force the release of the pictures.”

Only the names
have been changed to defend to guilty; we keep running around the
mulberry bush and nothing changes. Our new President wants more money
for wars of conquest while promising to defend the Pentagon from the
American people by hiding evidence of war crimes from them. All is
still the same, yet this one calls himself a Democrat.

The
Republicans and Joe Lieberman, whatever he is, have proposed making the
photos exempt from the Freedom of Information Act. Not since Orwell
penned, “some animals are more equal than others” has there been such a
display of blatant hypocrisy. Those pictures belong to us! We paid for
them! They are ours! Trying to pass an amendment exempting them from
the law is just another example of a government in a vacuum.

The
Constitution, right and wrong, fair play and justice have become
nothing more than sock puppet theatre. The Employee Free Choice Act is
dead, killed not by Republicans but by Democrats. Arkansas Democratic
Senator Blanch Lincoln announced that she had changed her position and
now sided with the US Chamber of Commerce. Likewise Senator Ben Nelson
of Nebraska and without a full complement of Democrats on board the
bill is dead. Without help from the White House the bill is dead, and
so while the White House will intervene on your behalf to fight the
ACLU it will not intervene to support American workers, and so the bill
is dead.

Several weeks ago Nancy Pelosi found herself in hot
water by saying the CIA lied to her in briefings regarding enhanced
interrogation (torture). The Speaker of the United States House of
Representatives then began back peddling and making excuses. Did they
lie to you or not? Pelosi has since dropped from the radar, aware I’m
sure that those who say bad things about the CIA suddenly become
accident-prone, and just as suddenly files and information begin to
leak out. “Oh, I get it,” I hear you saying, “he's a conspiracy
theorist!”

No, I’m a realist. The concept of no man is above the
law in the United States is as dead as religious freedom in Nazi
Germany. The executive branch is above the law, and the intelligence
branch is above the law per our new President, the Democrat. Without
legal constraints upon them what is left of democracy but to don the
purple and put on circuses for the people?

In 1948 Harry S.
Truman advocated and brought forth legislation for single payer health
care for the American people. In 2009 Democratic Senator Max Bauchus
had single payer advocates removed by force from the Senate Chamber.

In 1964 President Johnson proposed a war on poverty; in 2009 poverty is the winner.

In
1961 President Kennedy proposed putting men on the moon, the greatest
industrial and technological challenge of all time. In 2009 the
President wants more money to keep men in other countries, without
goals, without conditions and without end. Now 240,000 contractors
labor in Iraq and Afghanistan to supply a 30-million-dollar dining hall
that’s never been used and a US Forces headquarters building that is so
full of structural cracks, leaking pipes and sinking pavement that it
is questionable if it can ever be used.

All told, 32 billion
dollars have been paid to Kellogg Brown & Root alone since 2001,
and how many employees would you suspect oversee those billions of
dollars and thousands of contracts in both Iraq and Afghanistan?
Thirteen. The government has no central record of who the contractors
are or what they do nor how much they are to be paid. Try that line on
the IRS sometime, “I don’t know, I didn’t keep a record of that.”

In
1941 the Democratically controlled Senate created the Truman Committee
to investigate fraud and abuse under a Democratic President. The Truman
Committee was estimated to have saved $11 billion dollars during the
course of the war. The Democrats have controlled the House and Senate
for more than two years now; where is our Truman Committee?

In
response to the stock market crash in 1929, the Hoover administration
proposed low interest loans to banks and industries. Through the
Reconstruction Finance Corporation it lent out almost 2 billion
dollars. But In 1932 Franklin Roosevelt was elected President, and the
Reconstruction Finance Corporations budget was cut to 350 million
dollars in 1934. Instead the money was used to aid the people, not the
banks and corporations.

In 100 days Roosevelt's new
administration passed fifteen individual pieces of legislation.
Congress authorized the creation of the Agricultural Adjustment
Administration, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Farm Credit
Administration, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal
Emergency Relief Administration, the National Recovery Administration,
the Public Works Administration and the Tennessee Valley Authority.
Also the Emergency Banking Bill, the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, the
Farm Credit Act, the National Industrial Recovery Act and the
Truth-in-Securities Act.

“Practices of the unscrupulous money
changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the
hearts and minds of men. True they have tried, but their efforts have
been cast in the pattern of an outworn tradition. Faced by failure of
credit they have proposed only the lending of more money. Stripped of
the lure of profit by which to induce our people to follow their false
leadership, they have resorted to exhortations, pleading tearfully for
restored confidence. They know only the rules of a generation of
self-seekers. They have no vision, and when there is no vision the
people perish.” (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)

Where is our vision?
Show us the way home. As millions lose their homes and major cities are
laying off even police and firemen, where is our vision? The actual
unemployment rate is approaching 20%. American families have lost a
third of their net wealth since 2007. Tent cities are appearing across
the country and still there is no nationwide plan to do anything to
help the American worker. We have bailout plans for the big banks and
insurance companies and Chrysler and GM and those plans all have one
thing in common. Cut costs by eliminating workers, and in the case of
GM the President says, “We will not try to micro manage, will not tell
them where or when to open factories.”

These are our nation's
leaders, a Democratic president fighting with the ACLU to keep from you
what rightfully belongs to you and the Republicans always trying to
pass yet another law to exempt the government from following the law.
They are a whipsaw that only takes us deeper and further from the
rightful purpose of government.

“The law was made for one
thing alone, for the exploitation of those who don't understand it, or
are prevented by naked misery from obeying it.”
(Bertolt Brecht)

Where is our vision?

Where are our Democrats?

(photo by mr.frego)