U.S in No Position to Lecture Iran on Democracy

By Ben Cohen

Conveniently, Americans like to forget that Iran was a democracy until the CIA deposed the democratically elected government in 1953. So it's no wonder Iranians get irate when Americans lecture them on the value of democracy. They already know. Via Chris Hedges:

Iranians do not need or want us to teach
them about liberty and representative government. They have long
embodied this struggle. It is we who need to be taught. It was
Washington that orchestrated the 1953 coup
to topple Iran’s democratically elected government, the first in the
Middle East, and install the compliant shah in power. It was Washington
that forced Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh,
a man who cared as much for his country as he did for the rule of law
and democracy, to spend the rest of his life under house arrest. We
gave to the Iranian people the corrupt regime of the shah and his
savage secret police and the primitive clerics that rose out of the
swamp of the dictator’s Iran. Iranians know they once had a democracy
until we took it away.

The fundamental problem in the Middle East
is not a degenerate and corrupt Islam. The fundamental problem is a
degenerate and corrupt Christendom. We have not brought freedom and
democracy and enlightenment to the Muslim world. We have brought the
opposite. We have used the iron fist of the American military to
implant our oil companies in Iraq, occupy Afghanistan and ensure that
the region is submissive and cowed.