Through the Looking Glass

By David Glenn Cox

The only thing we know for sure in Iran is that we know nothing for
sure. The United States, through the CIA, has pursued an ongoing,
clandestine war against the people of Iran for the last six years.
Opposition groups have been funded; covert military strikes carried out
until we cannot tell fact from fiction or the Mad Hatter from Alice.

The
good news is ignored, and the bad is used to fan the flames of hatred
and extremism. The Iranian government has supported millions of
refugees from America’s war in Iraq. They’ve fed them, housed them and
offered them medical treatment. Not under the auspices of the UN or the
international Red Cross, but under the auspices of the government of
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

These same Iraqis are the sons and
daughters of the army and air force, which once invaded Iran with US
covert support. Yet the Iranian government and populace is able to put
that behind them and offer assistance to their former enemies.

Ever
since the days of Gamal Nasser, the quickest route to Pan-Arab acclaim
has been for a Middle East leader to wag his finger at Israel. Nasser
did it, Saddat did it, Saddam did it and Ahmadinejad does it. It is not
much different from America’s own Presidents touting their tough stand
on communism; it is meaningless propaganda designed for domestic
consumption.

The US has had Iran in its cross hairs since the
days of the Iranian revolution and the taking of US hostages. The US
had supported Saddam with weapons and intelligence, even chemical
weapons, in the long bitter war against Iran, a war which Iraq started
with US acquiescence. Meanwhile, while thousands of Iranians marched in
the streets chanting, “Death to Americans,” its leaders were being
enticed by American agents to set up the Iranian arms-for-hostages
exchange. Over 500 TOW missiles and 4,000 other missiles were supplied
to Iran through Israel and we wonder why they call us the great Satan?
We help to foment a war, then we broker arms to both sides.

In
1987 when two Iraqi Exocet missiles struck the USS Stark killing 37
sailors, the US government immediately condemned Iran. Of course we
knew better, but we couldn’t let those sailors die in a friendly fire
accident, so we blamed it on our enemies. Just as the US blamed Iran
for the IED’s killing US servicemen in Iraq, because it was believed
that the devices were coming from Iran due to their workmanship. Yet
the hypocrisy of the world’s largest arms merchant and occupying
foreign power pointing the finger of guilt at anyone is beyond belief.

The
US accuses Iran of having aspirations to obtain nuclear weapons and the
Iranians deny it. The Iranians are signatories of the Nuclear
Non-Proliferation Treaty, and under the terms of the treaty they are
lawfully entitled to the peaceful use of nuclear energy. And what’s
more, they are also entitled to international assistance in developing
nuclear power, none of which has been asked for nor provided. The US
instead makes nuclear deals with India, who are not signatories of the
non-proliferation treaty. Under the deal the US would have inspection
rights to two thirds of Indian nuclear facilities, and just for bonus
points guess who gets to choose the facilities to be inspected. (hint,
not us)

Why does Iran need nuclear power? Because its primary
source of hard currency is from its oil exports, exports that are
expected to fall precipitously in the next twenty years. Why does Iran
seek the capacity to enrich uranium? That question answers itself. If
the goal is for electrical self-sufficiency, having to procure nuclear
fuel on the world market leaves Iran with its cojones on the chopping
block. So you see, it is our threats and embargoes and sanctions which
exacerbate the problem. But to the CIA these are the things that make
them smile; the Iranians are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Who
could blame Iran if she did want to become a nuclear power, bordered by
a nuclear Pakistan and the US client states of Afghanistan and Iraq,
the unstable Republic of Georgia and the NATO-armed Turkey? It would
seem Iran lives in a dangerous neighborhood, without even mentioning
Russia and China. The hysteria is that somehow a nuclear Iran is a
threat to Israel. It is only a threat to Israel’s nuclear hegemony in
the region, but the idea that if Iran builds a bomb on Monday it will
send it hurting towards Israel on Tuesday is ludicrous.

It is
the worst kept military secret in the world that Israel has a stockpile
of at least 60 to 80 nuclear weapons, as well as a well-trained air
force capable of turning Iran into a glowing cinder. But more than
that, living in this violent, bloody and dangerous corner of the world,
Iran sits by herself doing for herself. She has attacked no one, she
has threatened no one and she has been convicted of nothing. In the
court of public opinion, however, and the fantasy world where big is
small and small is big, oh, there she is considered a threat to peace.

Mr.
Mousavi is portrayed to the American public as some sort of great
liberator come to strike down the evil Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, straight
out of a Marvel Comic. The Iranian public are seeking social reforms,
not any great break in foreign policy. A Link TV special filmed inside
of Iran showed the Iranian people as being ready for better relations
with the United States; they were overjoyed at the prospect. But to a
person they all agreed that the United States needed to knock off its
covert campaign against Iran and to treat Iran with the respect and
dignity that a sovereign nation deserves.

Did Ahmadinejad steal
the election? Who knows? Did Bush steal the election in 2000? Mr. Obama
was the guest of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo last week
for his lecture on democracy. Mr. Mubarak assumed the office of
President in 1981 and has won every election since in a cakewalk. In
the last election Mr. Mubarak carried 88% of the popular vote. Are the
elections fixed in Egypt? Using the standards applied to Iran it would
appear so; Ahmadinejad carried 63% of the vote.

The only thing
that we know for sure is that we know nothing for sure. The media have
done the opposite of inform. They have propagandized along political,
ethnic and religious lines until it is all just a meaningless jumble. A
hodgepodge of good guys and bad guys and heroes and villains in an old
Western serial shoot 'em up at old Tehran town. The CIA will continue
its work unabated, to demonize and undermine the government in Iran
leaving only one thing for certain, the most dangerous power in the
Middle East is the United States. We should fear where this is going
and look closely at the job the CIA has done in Afghanistan, Iraq,
Georgia, Pakistan, Turkmenistan and Kurdistan, or we may find ourselves
through the looking glass, unable to understand what is going on around
us.