The Coming Struggle, Why Your Guns Won’t Save You

Looks like the barrel of a "dirty harry" gun but it's a shot gun by annettea3.
/spaceball.gif

By David Glenn Cox

First let me say that I have owned guns most of my adult life. I’m not
a gun nut or a fanatic with high-powered rifles and semiautomatic
handguns, or a bunker under the house. I owned a shotgun for home
protection and a pistol for personal protection because I worked in a
rough area and had to make cash bank deposits.

I never had to
use either gun but felt safer for knowing that I had them just in case
of emergency. During my divorce my wife told sheriff’s deputies that
she had no knowledge as to where my shotgun was, but quickly handed
over my pistol to them. Yes, the police confiscated my firearms without
any proven charges against me. Six months after the divorce I was able
to go to the police department and reclaim my pistol. My ex was able to
keep possession of her pistol the entire length of our divorce, because
only men are violent.

The sheriff who returned my pistol was
quite affable and friendly throughout the procedure. I guess he had
seen his share of the angry having their guns removed by police power
through court order without charge or conviction. But the important
thing to remember here is that if they are coming to take your guns,
they will take them; end of story.

The right, the far right, the
NRA, white supremacists, neo-nazis, skin heads, the whole bunch cling
to this macho fantasy of freedom-robbing politicians versus the
patriotic Minute Men with the Chuck Heston’s quote ringing in their
ears. “As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would
take freedom away, I want to say those words again for everyone within
the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr.
Gore: From my cold, dead hands!” The simple truth is, if that’s the way
you want it, that’s the way they’ll give it to you.

This
lunatic mentality believes that somehow the government is afraid of you
because you own a pump shotgun and a revolver. Maybe you own a lot of
guns and have them buried in a secret location, waiting for the
uprising, but no matter how many guns you have they’ll always have
more. The police and military are just like you. They like playing army
on the weekend, too, and some recalcitrant gun nut just makes for good
sport!

Little Powder Springs, where I once made my home, had one
main street and used boys from the high school law enforcement club to
direct traffic at car club meets and festivals on Marietta Street. But
down at the city garage was a black, armored personnel carrier for use
by the town's black-stocking-masked SWAT Team. Yes, a town averaging
less than one murder a year needed an armored personnel carrier. The
possibility of some gun nut holed up in his house with a personal
arsenal justified the public expense. They feed on your paranoia and
you feed on theirs.

Every time that there is some citizen
movement, be it militia groups or border patrol groups, their leaders
always end up in jail on charges real or fabricated. The famous cases
of Randy Weaver at Ruby Ridge and the Branch Dividians in Waco prove
the Japanese proverb: the nail that sticks up gets hammered down. Their
guns didn’t empower them, they condemned them. Their guns legitimized
government murder; there will be no S.A. in the United States, not now,
not ever. If you wish to start up a well-armed band of mercenaries you
must work inside the government, like Eric Prince of Blackwater, Inc.

These
efforts are expensive and there must be a way to defray the large costs
and as long as the government knows that you are on their side there
will always be plenty of work. All political movements must, first and
foremost, have the sympathies of the public. The race riots of the
1960’s changed no minds; it was the dogs and firehoses of Birmingham
and bombs in the churches by the white supremacists that changed minds.
The police riot in Chicago in 1968 made middle America question what
was going on in Vietnam. To see riots in the street outside of the
Democratic National Convention with the mayor of Chicago screaming
obscenities inside the convention totally undermined the American body
politic.

The Kent State massacre in 1970, where National
Guardsmen fired into a crowd sixty-seven times in thirteen seconds
killing four and wounding nine, changed the mood of the nation. But
what if one shot had been returned by the crowd? What if one national
guardsman had been so much as grazed? Then any and all government
actions become appropriate.

Our economy is shedding over half a
million workers a month; for most the unemployment check will not keep
their heads above water. Unemployment checks will not be forwarded when
they lose their homes to foreclosure. They must reapply, that is, if
they still have a verifiable new address. The children must find new
schools, that is if, like their parents, they have a verifiable
address. The parents must maintain their children’s immunization
records and how can parents without income or address do so? Schools
will be obligated to turn children away from their doors, mandated by
government regulations.

We have lost four million jobs in the
first five months by government statistics, which no one believes are
accurate. We are on track for another three million home foreclosures
this year, and more ominously, retail sales in groceries stores are
beginning to fall. This is a clear sign that dark days are upon us. It
is a statistic that cannot be spun or manipulated; the American people
are running out of money to buy food.

That is why it is
important to remember that your gun will not save you; it can only
paint a target on your back. Your mere presence, in place of firearms,
can change the world far more than a band of armed vigilantes. More
than ever before our industries and services depend on “on demand
inventory.” A day or two of blocked highways or deliveries will bring
the economy to its knees. A few thousand protesters blocking key
highways in half a dozen major cities holds more power than an armed
division.

That would be a peaceful and non-violent demand for
redress of grievances. The government would respond with national
guardsman and mass jailings, but to the millions of unemployed out
there I ask, what else better do you have to do? As I’ve said before,
this isn’t your father’s recession; this is the permanent
deindustrialization of America. Your jobs are not coming back unless
you make it clear to the powers that be that you are willing to put
your body on the line.

Yesterday President Obama again
maintained that that the federal government wouldn’t try to
micro-manage the new GM. “We won’t try to tell them where or when to
open their factories.” Got that? They’re going to China and you and I
are going to hell; we can go alone or we can take them with us. But
guns? Sell your guns and buy your family food; the food will make you
stronger and your guns will make you weaker.

As for me, I gave
my pistol away. I have no more need of it; I have no home or property
to protect anymore. In the words of Alexander Solzhenitsyn:

“Blow
the dust off the clock. Your watches are behind the times. Throw open
the heavy curtains which are so dear to you -- you do not even suspect
that the day has already dawned outside.”

(photo by annettea3)