Never Wear a Gasoline Suit When Visiting Hell

By David Glenn Cox

The
founding fathers, oh, how the Right loves the founding fathers. They
are, after all, their role models; rich white men who, for the most
part, earned a living off of the sweat of someone else’s brow.
Attorneys and ne'er do wells, some like Hamilton and John Paul Jones
with checkered pasts, but one of their first acts while assembling this
free nation was to establish a free educational system.

Even these slave-holding, money-grubbing, pot-smoking,
hard-drinking, opium-sniffing, social-climbing white men had enough
sense to understand that a free public education was vital to the
success of the nation. The illegitimately born Hamilton was keeping the
books for a shipping company at the age of fourteen. So amazed by this
prodigy was the owner of the company that he paid to have Hamilton
educated at Harvard.

The General Land Ordinance of 1785 set aside one section of land
dedicated to public education in each thirty-six square mile township.
The land could be sold or rented but the proceeds, all the proceeds,
went to support public education. The founding fathers feared, and
rightly so, that without a quality education we would become a country
of nitwits, listening to Rush Limbaugh and watching American Idol.

Most of the founding fathers expressed concerns that we would
degenerate into a nation of fools, without calling out Limbaugh by
name. As bad as it is, is to become as bad as it gets. As bad as it
gets, it can only become… worse.

In California, where the governor refused any attempts to raise
taxes on industry or the wealthy, even refusing a tax on yachts, the
governor will instead begin to dismantle public education. What does
that great speechmaker Mr. Obama have to say about this? (cricket
chirp) Silence, not a damn word; the terminator is free to terminate
2,500 teaching positions in Los Angeles alone. Soon 118,000
college-bound California students will have their grants terminated.
But Mr. Obama has gone to the Middle East to see where our money’s gone.

Let’s see, $3,000,000,000 for Israel, $1,700,000,000 for Egypt,
Jordan is getting the shaft at $361,000,000. Plan Columbia will send
$1,000,000,000 tax dollars to eradicate the drug traffic. So successful
was Plan Colombia last year, the coca production in Colombia was only
up by 18%! So now the program has been expanded to send $470,000,000 to
Mexico to fight drug trafficking there.

Why bother? Why not let the kids do drugs? They can’t go to college
and they can’t find jobs. Why not legalize marijuana and take the
market away from the foreigners? I mean, if the kids can’t go to
college maybe they can learn to grow some kickass sinsemilla? They are
going to have a lot of time on their hands and idle hands are the
devil's workshop.

Besides, they will have a lot of issues to work through, like why
this nation for the first time in two hundred and twenty four years has
turned its back on public education. Were it me, I’d be pissed off. I
was lucky; I grew up in a time when public schools were monuments to
democratic freedom. Where communities were judged by their schools. The
little town that I grew up in had the highest property taxes on the
South Side of Chicago. The homes were overpriced for what they were
because everyone wanted to get their kid into that school system, and
through a full immersion into that quality, I learned.

I cannot imagine the pain of these kids who have studied hard and
worked hard to better themselves and make something of themselves only
to have it snatched away to keep the rich industrialists and
agribusiness safe from tax increases. The $1.6 billion in cuts are
draconian to education, and strangely I think I know where we can find
that money.

We are buying peace in the Middle East to the tune of $6,000,000,000
per year, and what are we getting for it? Nothing but heartache. The
Israelis are always unhappy; the Egyptians and Jordanians are unhappy.
After fifty years and billions upon billions of dollars, we have bought
an uneasy peace. Well, the cold war is over and Israel is fifty and
it’s time for them to defend themselves. We've got kids that need
schools!

It's time to right the ship of state. Plan Colombia? Plan on this,
the check ain’t coming! And Plan Mexico? The only thing not crossing
the border is our tax dollars; time to bring these things home. When
America was the largest creditor nation in the world, it was our duty
to aid countries in need. But now we are in need, and taking it out of
the hides of school children is morally reprehensible. We are borrowing
money to give away to people who don’t like us while we can’t provide
for our own children. Does that make sense to you?

Education pays, it doesn’t cost. A nation that’s cutting its
education is cutting its throat. It is a suicide and wrong on so many
levels that it borders on the absurd. California's state universities
expect a 30% rise in tuition coupled with the end of state grants means
that higher education, for all but the wealthiest, will become out of
reach.

But we still have money for a missile defense shield to
protect…Europe; $4.8 billion dollars for a missile shield that has only
worked when they’re told in advance where the missile would be. This is
a system that has been thwarted by painting the approaching missile
white. The lunacy, we spend $4.8 billion dollars on a missile shield
and it can be defeated with $20.00 dollars worth of Krylon spray paint.
The system won’t stop cruise missiles or short range missiles; the
system is a boondoggle and it's time to pull the plug.

The days of taking it out of the pockets of the working class are
over. How else would you describe a failed state but one that cannot
properly educate its children? California expenditures per child will
drop by $3,000 per pupil, placing California last behind Utah, Idaho,
Arizona, Oklahoma, and Tennessee nine places behind Alabama. And they
thought Caligula was crazy.