Go to Sleep

By Ben Cohen

According to a new scientific study, sleep helps us solve problems. From the BBC:

Volunteers who had entered REM or rapid eye movement sleep - when most dreams occur - were then better able to solve a new problem with lateral thinking.

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences has published the US work.

/o.gif
/start_quote_rb.gif

We propose that REM sleep is important for assimilating new information into past experience to create a richer network of associations for future use

/end_quote_rb.gif

The study authorsIn the morning of the test day, 77 volunteers were given a series of creative problems to solve and were told to mull over the problem until the afternoon either by resting but staying awake or by taking a nap monitored by the scientists.

Compared with quiet rest and non-REM sleep, REM sleep increased the chances of success on the problem-solving task.

The study at the University of California San Diego showed that the volunteers who entered REM during sleep improved their creative problem solving ability by almost 40%.

Does anyone want to report this to the department of Labor? Over working people doesn't necessarily make them more productive - just sick. I'm sure most of us could do with a good nap once in a while.