From Journalist to Street Musician

By Ben Cohen

Bloggasm conducts a fascinating interview with a Forbes journalist turned street musician who blogs about his experiences on the New York Subway:

Steve McGookin emphasized to me that it’s a popular misconception
that people become street performers as a “last resort,” but given his
own journey leading to his decision to pick up his guitar and join
them, I couldn’t help but wonder if perhaps for some people, the subway
is the last refuge.

McGookin took a severance package from his journalism job at
Forbes.com about a year ago, and since then has proceeded to burn
through his savings while looking for further employment. Like the
thousands of other out-of-work journalists that are trying to find jobs
in a shrinking industry, he hasn’t come up with any offers. So not long
ago he decided that he wanted to try an experiment: for years he had
been fascinated by the culture of performers that roam the underground
of New York; he watched them play on his daily commute and sometimes
even stopped to talk to them and give them money. What if he decided to
join them?