Fire and Human Evolution Continued

By Ben Cohen

A reader writes in response to the NY Times article on the role of fire in human evolution:

The fire-evolution connection was made more than
forty years ago. I remember it from when I was taking behavior
genetics. Basic thesis is that by learning to control fire and cook meat,
the huge lower mandible and jaw muscle to go with it was no longer necessary to
chew raw meat, and this allowed for smaller jaw, smaller jaw muscles, and hence
allowed for skulls/brains to become larger. For myself, as a psychologist,
it does make a lot of sense that this was one important point in the
evolutionary process. (Remember the movie Quest for
Fire
?)