Bernie Sanders: Let's Test Single Payer Health Care

By Ben Cohen

Bernie Sanders, an advocate of single payer health care, has come up with an intelligent compromise. In an interview with Ezra Klein, he suggest the following:

I am sure that there are some single payer advocates who think the
only thing worth fighting for is single payer. What I have also
introduced, which we will be fighting for, is a five-state option. That
would mean five states would have the option of running pilot programs
in universal health care but one would have to be single payer.

I think it's possible this will never happen in DC, but that this
country will join the rest of the industrialized world when a state,
maybe like Vermont, implements single payer and does it well. And then
New Hampshire will be looking over our shoulders, and they will adopt
that, and so on through the country. That's in fact how national health
care came to Canada, it started in the Saskatchewan province.