Where Do We Go When All Hope is Gone?

By David Glenn Cox

Where do we go when all hope is gone? Where are the answers to be found
when our leaders refuse to seek them? I do not see in Washington either
hope nor change. I do not see the answers; I don’t even see any
questioning for the answers. The Democrats in Congress whined for two
years about all that they would do if only they were in the majority.
So, now there they are, and what do we get?

We get lame
excuses, futile half measures, and right-wing rhetoric balled up as
centrist humanitarianism. Under the Republicans, banks and big business
got all their needs promptly attended to. What is different now? What
has changed? The wars go on and are expanded as the President calls for
government agencies to tighten their belts during the worst economic
times in a century. The Pentagon is, of course, exempted. But even
worse is the total abdication of care for the American people.

George
W. Bush was publicly pilloried over his failure to provide humanitarian
relief after Hurricane Katrina. One million people were displaced by
the storm and were in need of immediate government assistance. Today,
in the worst economic times in over a century, two million more
families are expected to lose their homes; three million families lost
their homes last year, and the total is rapidly approaching ten million
families! Forty million people out in the street and we don’t even get
a flyover from Air Force One. We’d paint “help” on our rooftops but we
no longer have rooftops. We no longer have jobs; the President's
stimulus package was expected to, and this was revised, “to create 'or
save' three million jobs in next two years.”

Hello! Earth to
Obama, we are losing six hundred thousand jobs a month; your stimulus
program was out of date in January. Instead it is marked completed and
put in the done basket. The administration forced the chairman of GM to
resign and questioned their plans to return to profitability, but just
this week GM announced plans to begin importing Chinese-made
automobiles and the administration nodded their heads in approval!
States with automotive suppliers have been hit especially hard by the
movement of more jobs to China and Mexico. This is beneath contempt;
this is rubbing salt in our wounds, borrowing money from us so you can
buy a gun to kill us.

What was the point of bailing out GM if
there is no benefit to we, the people, but only to we, the
stockholders? If we are just going to continue to hemorrhage jobs why
should we, as a nation, subsidize it? There is a major global
disconnect out there. I have heard all the arguments about free trade
and the global economy. But the economy is not global. It is the US
being screwed globally so that the capitalists can profit from cheap
labor. In Germany the docks are full of BMW’s, Mercedes, Volkswagons
and Porsches ready for export; Germany is not importing cheap cars from
Korea or China. Of course they could be made less expensively in Asia,
but the German government is looking out for the German people. Germany
exports $1.53 trillion and imports $1.2 trillion in products, but of
all that trade her eight largest trading partners all have like
economies and wage scales.

Only 6% of Germany’s imports come
from China. Japan and Korea didn’t even make the list. In the United
States 17% of all imports come from China, followed by Canada 15.7%,
Mexico 10.6%, Japan 7.4%, leaving two of our biggest trading partners
with third-world wage scales. It’s a good, old-fashioned barnyard
screwing for the American worker. With millions unemployed and millions
losing their homes the government cares not a whit for their survival
or their livelihood. It is as if we don’t exist to them. The elections
are over, back to the business of maintaining the rich at the expense
of the poor.

The President is expected to make his first Supreme
Court nominee, and after eight years of Republican choices it should be
refreshing. It should be, but instead the President has hinted that it
will be a moderate woman with the emphasis on woman. Gee, how about a
good, old-fashioned, liberal woman? The Republicans placed Scalia and
Roberts, and Obama is looking for a moderate? What is this, an episode
of Hannity and Combs?

The President announced plans to close
Guantanamo, well, mainly close it, kind of close it. Yesterday the
Democratic majority refused to give the administration the funding
needed to close it out of political fear. Spineless jellyfish, afraid
of how it might appear in Peoria, they are more concerned with the
appearance of good works than in doing good works.

My son
bought a car from a woman yesterday; she was twenty-four and a college
graduate. She was selling the car because she was going into the
military. It was the only job she could find. She had lost her job and
moved back in with her parents. So, sadly, her last recourse was to
join America's last growth industry, its war machine.

Where do
we go when all hope is gone? Do we keep sending in proof of purchase
box tops to the government? Hoping against hope that they will look up
and take notice of the millions of stray dogs and cats that used to be
the American middle class? What is the true purpose of a government?
What constitutes a failed state? Would the largest trade deficit in the
world qualify? How about a nation with the world’s largest trade
deficit that advocates for even more free trade? Would the abdication
of concern for its people apply? It would seem to me a government with
no concern for its citizens would qualify only as a tyranny.

had a long talk with my brother-in-law about free trade and he
explained that it could not be stopped because it was the way the world
operates now. He wasn’t interested that the rest of the world isn’t
operating that way, that Germany doesn’t operate that way. Japan
doesn’t operate that way; Korea doesn’t operate that way. Only America
opens her borders to goods manufactured in the third world in factories
owned by American companies to exploit cheap labor and subvert American
wage scales.

“Well,” he said, “I don’t know what you can do to stop it. It’s the law.”

answered, “It's only the law that keeps you safe in your bed at night.
You can call the cops if you hear a prowler, but who you gonna call
when you hear a million prowlers?”