"Me", "I", And Journalism

Reading this NY Times ombudsman column about mistakes on behalf of 3 NY Times writers I'm reminded of something. I think part of the failure of journalism in the last decade or so can be traced to writers inserting themselves into their stories. I remember first noticing this personally in articles written in Wired in the early 2000s but I'm sure there are numerous examples before that. Journalism has become too often an exercise in biography, with writers trying to pass of their personal stories as examples of what people are going through when in fact the life of the average journalism writer bears little to no resemblance to that of the average reader.

Also, the narcissism.