It's Changing

When history looks back at our current times, I get the feeling that we may no longer consider the signing of the Civil Rights Act as the end marker for racial progress in America but rather as the midpoint in the movement. Yesterday the first black president announced a nominee to be the first Hispanic justice. This is not the America I was born in, but a changed one.

Especially Luis Reyes, 49, a Salvadoran-born businessman who arrived almost penniless three decades ago and now lives in spacious house in upper Northwest Washington. He said he yelled for his 11-year-old daughter as soon as he heard the news anchor start to announce Obama's decision on his living-room television set. "I told her, 'Come! Come! You have to come see this! This is a historic occasion that should inspire you,' " he said. "When I first got to this country, this would have been unthinkable."

I saw a little kid no more than 4 or 5 on the train yesterday and thought to myself he'll grow up in a world where the highest, most important jobs in the country actually reflect the makeup of the world he lives in and it will be the norm.