How To Create Web Traffic: Use the Word Porn

By Ben Cohen

We'll see how well my thesis works when I check the stats on this article....

Seriously though, while perusing the always fun Gawker website, I came across the article 'Arianna Huffington Discovers 'Weird Porn' on the Internet'. Like an idiot, I clicked on the article to see what on earth the media mogul was doing watching fetish porn, only to discover the title had absolutely nothing to do with her watching porn at all. It was in fact referring to a comment that Huffington made about not charging for content online. She said:

"Unless you're selling porn -- especially weird porn -- I would not go the subscription route,"

Nothing particularly controversial about that. This is a classic traffic generating tactic: Using the name of a well known celebrity/media personality with something shocking causes simpletons (like myself) to click through.

If I wrote the title: "Keith Olbermann Porn Star Shocker", you'd probably be interested in finding out what Olbermann was doing with a porn star, particularly if it was anything shocking. This would of course refer to an interview Keith Olbermann did with a porn star back in 2005 (that had nothing to do with him doing anything 'shocking'). You get my point...Anyhow, I'm not averse to jazzing up titles, but I think the innuendo with Arianna Huffington is a little much. Although knowing how savvy a business woman she is, she'd probably understand.