Gibson a True Believer

This is Mel Gibson. by Mel Gibson's Girl.

By Ben Cohen

I like Mel Gibson's movies. I think the guy is a fantastic actor, and a great director (any man out there who says they don't like 'Brave Heart' and 'Apocalypto' is simply lying). However, as a source of religious moral authority, the man is about as full as shit as they come. I try not to discuss celebrities too much on the Banter, but every now and then, the moral posturing of some narcissistic Hollywood idiot compels me to.

Gibson has lectured people on his ultra orthodox catholic beliefs, and even turned the story of Jesus into a horror movie to make his point. Austerity, self flagellation and rigid orthodoxy are a fundamental part of his particular form of Catholicism, and went as far as building his own church in Malibu. People Magazine did a feature on his Church, and I must say, it doesn't sound like much fun:

The rustic church, unaffiliated with the Roman Catholic archdiocese,

has a foot-tall crucifix on the altar and the priest keeps his back to

the parishioners as he performs mass every morning entirely in Latin.

In church, women must wear head coverings.

All the while, Gibson has been making ultra violent action flicks, shouting racial slurs at Jewish policemen, and divorcing his wife of 28 years for a Russian lingerie model. All of this is fairly normal for your average Hollywood superstar going through a mid life crisis, but Gibson's antics are particularly offensive given his rigid religious beliefs that he insists on telling everyone about. It's kind of like gay Republicans voting against giving rights to gay people, hiding their true identity behind a contradictory public persona. Gibson is like every other graying asshole out their trying to relive their past by buying a motor bike and sleeping with younger women. His commitment to 'Traditional Catholicism' is about as real as Dick Cheney's commitment to world peace. I guess Cheney doesn't bother to pretend he has one, a courtesy Gibson could extend next time he is asked to talk about his religion.