The Reality Behind The Tea Parties

A columnist in the Macon Telegraph writes:

The Clinton years saw the deficit morph into a $128 billion surplus. No tea parties. No dancing in the streets. No waving of signs and rejoicing that our children’s futures were secure. That’s a good thing because the first year of George W. Bush’s presidency that surplus turned into a $133 billion deficit. We hadn’t seen nuthin’ yet.

Last September the deficit had ballooned to more than $10 trillion. In eight years, no tea parties; hardly a mumbling word until the bailouts began last September. No one complained that a lame duck president, who kept war spending off the books — just like Wall Street accountants fiddled with their derivative Ponzi schemes — had royally screwed up.

So here we are. Folks are upset. Why now? The answer is simple. The people twirling tea bags and making signs and creating a big fuss — inspired by talk radio mavens — are really mad because they lost the November elections — and they lost to Barack Obama.

They feel disenfranchised and abandoned by the Republican Party who they swore their allegiances to. Much of that anger should be redirected. After all they didn’t pitch a fit when they saw the Republican Party train wreck. They didn’t march down the street and wave signs when a Republican-controlled Congress and president broke the bank and threw the ideal of small government out the window. Their silence is one of the reasons the reins of government now sit in the hands of Democrats.

Unfortunately, for those who wish differently, the enthusiasm of the Tea Parties of ’09 will quickly fade. Did you see the crowds? What did they look like? They reminded me of the attendees at the Republican National Convention last year, where minorities made up a whopping 1.5 percent of the delegates. Don’t they get it? America no longer looks like that.