State The Obvious, Get A NY Times Column

Doug Glanville in the NY Times Op-ed:

Take a close look at the recent World Baseball Classic and you’ll see how far the sport has come in a short period of time. It is no longer a homogeneous, closed circle of local athletes, but rather an entire world of cultures.

Only 60 years ago, Jackie Robinson broke through a glass ceiling for African-American ballplayers, but since then there’s been a quiet inflow of many other cultures that has also changed the game dramatically.

Is this really an original thought? Surely in the last 60 years people have taken note of the cultural diversity of baseball - the fact that it has legions of fans in South America and Japan. Every year players come in to the league from those locales. It isn't anything new.

And he winds up:

Because baseball’s power is unique. No game reflects the cultural diversity of our country on a day-to-day, team-by-team level as well as baseball.

Look, I know baseball fans love to rhapsodic about their game, but the exact same cultural diversity is true of the other two major sports in the country - football and basketball. Heck, even golf is more diverse than it used to be.

I wonder if sometimes the Times publishers don't see any connection between lagging revenues and painfully obvious columns like this.