Senator Mike Gronstal Stops Effort to Amend Iowa Constitution on Marriage Equality

By Ben Cohen

Without the support of Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal,
efforts to amend the Iowa Constitution can not move forward in the
Senate. Gronstal point blank refused to co sponsor the bill, and delivered a withering smack down to
Senate Minority Leader Paul McKinley on the
first day the Senate met after the unanimous decision by the Iowa
Supreme Court to allow same sex couples to marry. Here's the money quote (via Bob Cesca):

I see a bunch of people that merely want to profess their love for each other, and want state law to recognize that.

Is

that so wrong? I dont think thats so wrong. As a matter of fact, last

Friday night, I hugged my wife. You know Ive been married for 37 years.

I hugged my wife. I felt like our love was just a little more

meaningful last Friday night because thousands of other Iowa citizens

could hug each other and have the state recognize their love for each

other.

No, Senator McKinley, I will not co-sponsor a leadership bill with you.

Watch the brilliant performance below:

RELATED ARTICLES