Obama and Chavez

By Ben Cohen

The Right Wing screeching machine is up in arms (see here too) about Obama's civil meeting with Hugo Chavez. Apparently, shaking hands with a man who is one of the most popular leaders in the world, has been democratically elected three times, massively reduced poverty in his country, and has never invaded/threatened another nation puts the United States in grave danger.

It's amazing that we never hear Fox News, Newt Gingrich, Dick Cheney etc ever talk about Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, (the worst human rights violator in Latin America), or the Saudi regime (which regularly beheads criminals in public). As long as our corporate interests in these countries aren't effected, the Right couldn't give a damn about horrific human rights violations. But when Chavez dares to part nationalize the oil industry in his country, he becomes the reincarnation of Hitler.

It is so transparently hypocritical, I'm amazed any of them can criticize Obama with a straight face. But then that is why they are the party in opposition, and Obama continues to dance circles around them.