No Apologies For Miss California

By Ben Cohen

Chez Pazienza weighs in on the Perez Hilton/Carrie Prejean Gay Marriage debacle. It's hard to disagree with his assessment:

No, of course Carrie Prejean, AKA Miss California, shouldn't apologize

for her remarks about gay marriage, as some are still insisting she do.

By
now you know the story, so I'll do you the favor of not rehashing it.
Suffice it to say, being painfully stupid isn't a crime; if it were,
that shameless little turd Perez Hilton would this very moment be on
the business end of a shower rape in a Supermax facility somewhere,
rather than milking this "controversy" for all it's worth in an effort
to extend his inexplicable 15 minutes of micro-fame. On the contrary, I
actually think it's kind of refreshing that Prejean answered the
inarguably loaded question about same-sex marriage honestly, rather
than trying to duck it or, worse, cobbling together an innocuous
response that was short on anything resembling an actual opinion.
(Although, to be fair to anyone not dumber than a sack of gravel, as
Prejean seems to be, I'm not sure she knew she was taking an actual
position while she was doing it.)......

The bottom line here is that Carrie Prejean's views on gay marriage may be less than cosmopolitan, but they're her views.
The last time I checked, people didn't have to apologize for their
opinions, and anyone who thinks otherwise in this case is guilty of the
kind of draconian political correctness the left is often accused of
trying to enforce. I wouldn't call Prejean's remarks "intolerant," but
even if they were -- so what? Doesn't the entire concept of tolerance
naturally imply a certain amount of magnanimity toward the intolerant?

My thoughts? I've never watched a beauty contest and certainly don't care what any of them have to say, but I would certainly defend Prejean's right to speak her mind. I disagree with her world view vehemently, but it's about as important as Bill Kristol's opinion on foreign policy.