Monbiot Defends Fat People From Global Warming Smears

By Ben Cohen

George Monbiot responds to the Sun's recent headline story that "Fatties cause global warming" (lovely title, I know):

I'm sure it's true: the more we consume of anything, the greater the

impact will be. But it's not clear that there's anything that can be

done about it: hardly anyone is overweight by choice. If people can't

stop themselves from overeating for the sake of their health, they

won't be able to stop for the sake of the biosphere.

A more realistic approach is to persuade people to switch more of their consumption from animal to plant-based food: that way you can eat just as much, with a smaller impact on both the environment and food security.

I can't quite see fast food junkies munching on cabbage and carrots, but it's definitely the right idea.