MD State Sen. Andrew Harris Wants To Block University Funding Over A Porn Movie Showing

Look. I don't think watching a porno film is a good use of college time, and I'm prudish enough to think you shouldn't be doing it in a campus activity, but not to the point where you should pull the funding for the University Of Maryland. That's nutty.

With a planned showing of a controversial pornographic movie on the University of Maryland campus just hours away, the state legislator who is trying to halt the event turned his attention to the university's capital budget, threatening an attempt to cut those funds in Annapolis.

State Sen. Andrew Harris (R-Baltimore County), who last week tried to block the university's $424 million share of state operating funds over plans to screen the film at the theater in the student union, announced his new approach today. The state operating budget is now in conference committee and cannot be amended when it emerges, but debate on the capital budget could begin as early as tonight.

Of course Andrew Harris is a Republican. And of course Andrew Harris has his priorities out of whack.

The movie in question is "Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge", which I would figure has a plot that's impossible to follow unless you see Pirates I.