Krugman on Torture: The ugliness is already there, and pretending it isn’t won’t make it go away.

By Ben Cohen

Paul Krugman says America must confront the wrong doings of its past if it is able to move on:

Some of them probably just don’t want an ugly scene; my guess is
that the president, who clearly prefers visions of uplift to
confrontation, is in that group. But the ugliness is already there, and
pretending it isn’t won’t make it go away.

Others, I suspect, would rather not revisit those years because they don’t want to be reminded of their own sins of omission.

For

the fact is that officials in the Bush administration instituted

torture as a policy, misled the nation into a war they wanted to fight

and, probably, tortured people in the attempt to extract “confessions”

that would justify that war. And during the march to war, most of the

political and media establishment looked the other way.