David Frum Gets it

By Ben Cohen

David Frum may be a pompous asshole, but he definitely understands why the defection of Arlen Specter to the Democrats was more than a wake up call for the GOP (hat tip Andrew Sullivan):

The Specter defection is too severe a catastrophe to qualify as a

“wake-up call.” His defection is the thing we needed the wake-up call

to warn us against! For a long time, the loudest and most powerful

voices in the conservative world have told us that people like Specter

aren’t real Republicans – that they don’t belong in the party. Now he’s

gone, and with him the last Republican leverage within any of the

elected branches of government.

For years, many in the conservative world have wished for an ideologically purer GOP. Their wish has been granted. Happy?

Let’s
take this moment to nail some colors to the mast. I submit it is better
for conservatives to have 60% sway within a majority party than to have
100% control of a minority party. And until and unless there is an
honored place made in the Republican party for people who think like
Arlen Specter, we will remain a minority party.