Arlen Specter Switches To Democratic Party

Wow

Veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter announced Tuesday that he is switching parties, a move would give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 seats if Al Franken is seated in the Minnesota race.

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," the Pennsylvania senator said in a statement.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," Specter said, adding that the "change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans."

60. 60.

Couple thoughts: This is the second time in 10 years a senator has switched parties, both times from Republican to Democrat. What will labor do? Specter is against EFCA but Pat Toomey - formerly of Club for Growth - is probably even more anti-labor than Specter. Maybe they'll sit it out.