U.S Human Rights Hypocrisy

By Ben Cohen

Glenn Greenwald looks at the Washington Post's silly diatribe on Hillary Clinton's refusal to condemn China for its human rights abuses:

While it's true that there is something ugly about hearing Clinton

proudly announce that "I really consider President and Mrs. Mubarak to

be friends of my family" -- that wonderful "friend of her family" is

one of the world's most repressive dictators -- the idea that the U.S.

is in any position to play the role of human rights arbiter for the

world is about the most unhinged notion imaginable. Few things have

degraded international conceptions of human rights more than American

actions over the last decade -- not only what we've done, but what we

continue to do.

As

Billmon once wrote

,

theU.S., under the Bush administration, has "forfeited forever its

ability to chastise the human rights abuses of others without

triggering a global laughing fit."

I've written about this before, and I got several emails from readers livid that I could excuse human rights abuses in China. I wasn't, just pointing out that it isn't America's place to criticize.