The False Idol of Money

The always erudite Chris Hedges on the moral bankruptcies that led to the current disaster:

Turn away from the moral life and you end in disaster. You sink into a

morass of self-absorption and greed. You breed a society that

celebrates fraud, theft and violence, you turn neighbor against

neighbor, you confuse presentation and image with your soul. Moral

rules are as imperative to sustaining a community as law. And all

cultures have sought to remind us of these basic moral restraints, ones

that invariably tell us that successful communities do permit its

members to exploit each other but ensure that they sacrifice for the

common good. The economic and social collapse we face was presaged by a

moral collapse. And our response must include a renewed reverence for

moral and social imperatives that acknowledge the sanctity of the

common good.