Science Returns To America

Another reason we voted for Barack Obama.

When President Obama lifts restrictions on funding for human embryonic stem cell research today, he will also issue a presidential memorandum aimed at insulating scientific decisions across the federal government from political influence, officials said yesterday.

'The president believes that it's particularly important to sign this memorandum so that we can put science and technology back at the heart of pursuing a broad range of national goals,' Melody C. Barnes, director of Obama's Domestic Policy Council, told reporters during a telephone briefing yesterday.

It's a sign of how far we strayed under Bush that President Obama has to even write this up. It's like saying that the United States doesn't torture. Oh, wait...