Our Addiction Fuels Mexican Drug Wars

So says Sec. Clinton.

“Our insatiable demand for illegal drugs fuels the drug trade,” she said, using unusually blunt language. “Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and civilians.”

Since last year, drug-related killings and battles between law enforcement authorities and the cartels have resulted in more than 7,200 deaths in Mexico, and raised doubts about the country’s stability. The violence has begun spilling across the border.

Of course, the logical thing to do would then be to decriminalize most of this stuff, since it just ends up creating a black market like the prohibition of alcohol did in the 1920s. But that's not likely to happen any time soon.