It All Gets Real

The American Economy 2008 by hz536n.

By David Glenn Cox
http://theservantsofpilate.com

“Some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later, it all gets real”
(Neil Young)

We
live in a cloud with our inputs overloaded, like pool balls bouncing
off the bumpers, looking for a hole. The news media tells us about the
mean old Chinese that are harassing an unarmed US navy vessel. Those
bad old Chinese, how dare they do that to our boys? Except that it is a
US spy ship spying off the Chinese coast, and we want to blame the
Chinese?

Saddam had to prove that he didn’t have weapons of
mass destruction and the Iranians have to prove that they aren’t
building a nuclear bomb. No matter what hoops they jump through, we
just move the bar. The Iranians signed the nuclear non-proliferation
treaty and India did not. We threaten Iran and try to trade nuclear
fuel for mangoes with India.

Hugo Chavez is an evil dictator
because he nationalized oil fields after American oil companies refused
to pay Venezuela the same royalties that they currently pay to Saudi
Arabia and Kuwait. Of course, the Saudis and Kuwaitis are our friends.
After 9-11 Bin Laden’s relatives were allowed to fly home to Saudi
Arabia and requests to interview Saudi intelligence agents were
refused.

The CIA, through Cuban nationals, has waged a
fifty-year campaign of bombings, sabotage and even the bombing of a
civilian Cuban airliner. As President Bush called for a war on terror,
the perpetrator of the Cuban airliner bombing walked the streets of
Miami, a free man. The numerous CIA plots to kill Fidel Castro are
famous, but after Hurricane Katrina it was the Cuban government that
offered doctors and aid for the refugees. Those offers were rebuffed.
Those sneaky bastards, Castro is a dictator who holds thousands of
political prisoners on that island in fetid cells; he holds them and
tortures them without trial.

We condemn the Cuban system of
one-party rule as not being Democratic enough. But, of course,
America's largest trading partner, China, has an identical if not more
odious and authoritarian version of one-party rule. The primary
difference is that Cuba will not trade tropical poverty for sweatshop
prosperity. We want to promote democracy so that Cuba can achieve the
same level of prosperity as democratic El Salvador and Nicaragua. Cuba
spends 9.1% of its GDP on education; El Salvador and Nicaragua spent
3%. Infant mortality is 5.93 per thousand births in Cuba. In El
Salvador it is 22.9 deaths per thousand; in Nicaragua it is 25.9 deaths
per thousand live births.

Americans have the greatest healthcare
system in the world, or so we are told, yet our infant mortality rate
is 6.3 deaths per thousand, and we give the parents a bill to grieve
with. American life expectancy is 78.4 years while the Cuban life
expectancy is only 77.2 years. How dare I compare a brutal communist
dictatorship to the blessings of this capitalist wonderland? I should
consider the things the Cubans miss out on. Like, they will never have
to worry about their pensions being liquidated in a bankruptcy court.
Or their jobs being outsourced somewhere where the workers will work
for less.

They don’t have to worry about saving enough money to
send their children to college, or if they will have enough money when
they get old. They do have to worry about fighting the global war on
terror; they have been fighting it for the past fifty years and their
enemy is powerful and is always just ninety miles from their shores and
even has bases in their homeland.

Democracy is the single-minded
policy of this country; if necessary, we will even impose it by force
of arms. Now you vote! Make your choice, pick a party; we will tell you
who the candidates are later.(Afghanistan) Safety concerns, you know.
Why, this country spends hundreds of millions of dollars promoting
democracy in the third world. And our candidates always win! Almost
always!

During the 2006 Mexican Presidential election the
Republican Party sent advisors to assist conservative candidate Felipe
Calderon. Through statistical anomalies and 900,000 annulled votes,
Calderon was eventually declared the winner replacing Vincente Fox the
former CEO of Coca Cola in Mexico. The will of the people clearly
prevailed.

Senator John McCain is the leader of the
International Republican Institute whose stated goal is to “Advance
freedom and democracy worldwide by developing political parties, civic
institutions, open elections, good governance and the rule of law. The
IRI has been active in Venezuela, and in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and in
Georgia. The IRI was also active in Haiti.

In 2004 US ambassador
to Haiti, Brian Dean Curran, accused the IRI of subverting his efforts
to bring peace to Haiti during the contested elections of 2000. The IRI
can be found operating anywhere there is trouble to be had or to be
made. Afghanistan, Angola, Bolivia, Bosnia, Belarus, Burma, Colombia,
Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, East Timor, Egypt, Estonia, Guatemala,
Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan,
Peru, Poland, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Serbia, Uganda, Ukraine. And, of
course, the West Bank and Gaza; how could they possibly be forgotten?

The
conflict in Georgia began when Georgian troops launched a large-scale
ground-and air-based military attack on South Ossetia's capital and
began firing on Russian peacekeeping troops. Georgia claims that it was
responding to Russian troop movements. It ‘s the same "they’re
harassing my spy ship" argument. Since when does the movement of
peacekeeping troops constitute grounds for a full-scale offensive? The
American media, as would be expected, excoriated the Russian troops for
returning fire when fired upon.

The aggressors are crowned with
laurels for bravely attacking and standing up to peacekeeping troops.
Russian officers complained of American advisors on the scene assisting
the Georgians and of the great deal of radio traffic in English. It was
probably just the IRI again, advancing freedom and democracy worldwide
by developing political parties, civic institutions, open elections,
good governance and the rule of law.

Some say the conflict was
based on the encouragement of the US to enlist former Soviet bloc
countries into NATO. The Russians pointed out that if NATO was formed
to counter the Warsaw Pact and the Warsaw Pact no longer exists, what
then is the need to expand NATO? Isn’t it obvious? To aid young
democracies, like Afghanistan and Georgia and Belarus. The prior
administration's plans were to put missile batteries in Poland and the
Czech Republic to defend the United States and Europe from Iranian and
North Korean missiles that don’t even exist and might never exist. The
Russians were just expected to take our word that these missiles are
only pointed towards them but not at them. We’ve spent billions of
dollars to develop a missile defense shield against countries that
don’t have missiles of that caliber and they don’t trust us.

Why don’t they trust us? Why do they harass our spy ships? Why do they resist when we attack?

Then
there is the recent Seymour Hersh story about an “executive
assassination squad” which reported directly to Dick Cheney. Oh, I’m so
surprised, how could it be? The new President is going to close
Guantanamo but retain other facilities. He’s promised to no longer
torture but still retains the privilege. He is going to get us out of
Iraq but keep half the troops there. He is going to fight in
Afghanistan by sending in half the troops removed from Iraq. He is
going to fix the budget by taxing the rich, then gives out more tax
cuts to the rich in the stimulus package. He’s going to fight global
warming with cap and trade, then admits he’s open to negotiation on cap
and trade and on cutting the corporate tax rate, as well.

Last
Wednesday a troubled man in South Alabama opened fire and killed ten
people. Mass shootings have become almost commonplace in America, or
freedom as a disguise for license to abandon our people, neglect their
needs and their futures. We hold more prisoners per capita than any
other country in the world including Communist China, Iran, Venezuela
and Cuba. Are Americans just more criminally bent? Or is it a
collective madness brought on by a society that talks one way and acts
another. A society that holds out promises it has no intention of
keeping.

That man in Alabama was reported to his supervisor by a
co-worker for not wearing his earplugs at work. Maybe that was all it
took. Freedom can be a heavy burden when you've got nothing but
promises to carry it in.

“As soon as you're born they make you feel small,
By giving you no time instead of it all,
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all,
A working class hero is something to be,
A working class hero is something to be.
They hurt you at home and they hit you at school,
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool,
Till you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules,
A working class hero is something to be,
A working class hero is something to be.
When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years,
Then they expect you to pick a career,
When you can't really function you're so full of fear,
A working class hero is something to be,
A working class hero is something to be.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV,
And you think you're so clever and classless and free,
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see,
A working class hero is something to be,
A working class hero is something to be.
There's room at the top they are telling you still,
If you want to be like the folks on the hill,
A working class hero is something to be.
A working class hero is something to be.
If you want to be a hero well just follow me,
If you want to be a hero well just follow me.”
(John Lennon)

What is surprising is that there aren't ten or twenty shootings a day.

photo by hz536n