Iran Slaps Down Obama's Offer to Speak

By Ben Cohen

Predictable, I must say. I don't know who thought Obama's essentially vacuous message to Iran would do anything other than reinforce the idea that America doesn't really understand why there is so much hatred for them in the Middle East. While I'm not fan of the regime in Iran, I certainly understand their deep mistrust of America. Obama must break the mold if he wants serious dialogue with Iran, and this means putting the Israeli/U.S special relationship up for scrutiny, being honest about Iran nuclear energy plans (there's no evidence they want to create a bomb), and acknowledging American crimes in the region. Otherwise, it's all hot air.