Huffington Post Gives Back

By Ben Cohen

This is the best news serious journalists have heard in a good few years. From Arianna Huffington:

I'm delighted that today we are launching a new venture -- The

Huffington Post Investigative Fund. This nonprofit Fund will produce a

wide-range of investigative journalism created by both staff reporters

and freelance writers.

As the newspaper industry continues to contract, one of the most
commonly voiced fears is that serious investigative journalism will be
among the victims of the scaleback. And, indeed, many newspapers are
drastically reducing their investigative teams. Yet, given the multiple
crises we are living through, investigative journalism is all the more
important. As a result, all who recognize the indispensable role good
journalism plays in our democracy are looking for ways to preserve it
during this transitional period for the media. For too long, whether
it's coverage of the war in Iraq or the economic meltdown, we've had
too many autopsies and not enough biopsies. The HuffFund is our attempt
to change this. It will also provide new opportunities for seasoned
journalists who have been laid off or forced into early retirement.

As a journalist, this is music to my ears. The lack of money for people serious about the profession means the industry cannot attract top talent. As a result, everyone suffers as power is left unchecked. It's not the answer to the collapse of journalism, but it will help. And right now, a little can go a long way.