Being Woody Guthrie

Woodie Guthrie by naturesshadowdancer.

By David Glenn Cox
http://theservantsofpilate.com

Today we have so many celebrities who take on social causes; it is
almost a given that they will each have some charity or cause that they
support. That is good, I suppose, but still there is a clear
distinction between being socially conscious and being Woody Guthrie.

Woody
has been dead almost half a century, and his deeds and exploits have
fallen from public memory. Woody wasn’t socially conscious, he was its
conscience. In the dark days of depression-era homelessness and migrant
camps, Woody sang, “So long, it’s been good to know ya, this dusty old
dust is getting my home.” He sang, “It’s a hot dusty road that a
million feet have trod. Rich man took my house and he drove me from my
door. And I ain’t got no home in this world anymore.”

He left
his wife and family, like millions of other men during the depression,
seeking work. When he was given his own radio show in Los Angeles, he
sent for his wife and children. Guthrie played the same songs that he
had played in the migrant camps, and dedicated songs to those who
didn’t have enough to eat that night. Sponsors wanted only hillbilly
music, but what they got was pure Woody. Management demanded Guthrie
supply them in advance with a list of the songs he intended to sing,
and then he didn’t play any of them.

Coming to California on
foot, Woody knew that being called an Okie wasn’t a term of endearment;
he was an outsider and always would be an outsider. He wasn’t just a
little man who wrote songs for the oppressed. He was the oppressed, and
he wrote songs for the little people who were oppressed everywhere. He
walked out on good jobs because he wouldn’t be muzzled or censored. If
you wanted Woody you got Woody, all of him, not just the polite parts.

In
the days of strict segregation, Woody played with Lead Belly, Sonny
Terry , Brownie McGhee and Josh White. Those things just weren’t done
by white performers in polite society, but Woody didn’t give a damn
about polite society. Once while working on a troop ship, Woody was
playing for the troops when he heard voices from the front hold, and he
asked, “Why aren’t we playing down there?”

“Well, those are colored troops, and there might be trouble,” it was explained.

Woody asked, “Why? Don’t they like music?”

Woody
played and there was no trouble, but at a war bond rally in Baltimore
they weren’t so lucky. Woody, Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry played for
the crowd. Woody was seated for supper at the head table while Sonny
and Brownie were offered a plate in the kitchen. Enraged, Woody flipped
the table over saying, “If we’re going to fight fascism, let's start
right here!” That was Woody, and that was Woody’s last war bond rally.

In
1938 Irving Berlin wrote “God Bless America,” and Kate Smith had a hit
record with it. But to Woody, the song had it all wrong. It was plastic
and superficial, a blind patriotic ballad without any soul searching or
reckoning of the things that needed correction in this country. So
Woody sat down to write a song about what being an American meant to
him.

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND

Chorus: This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

If
this song had been written by anyone besides Woody Guthrie, it would
just be a catchy tune. But it was written by a man who was beaten and
had his guitar busted over his head for advocating labor rights. A man
who slept on the hard ground when he didn’t have so much as a dime in
his pocket. A man who watched his friend murdered by railroad
detectives for hopping a freight train. A man that flipped over the
banquet tables of big shots when he saw injustice. And through all of
this, this man with barely a fourth grade education still loved this
country.

Unlike Irving Berlin, he wasn’t satisfied with America;
being wealthy didn’t make it all right. Woody once said, “I never met a
poor man that wouldn’t share what he had, and I never met a rich man
who wasn’t afraid somebody was gonna take something from him.” And that
hasn’t changed. Too many of us walk through this life afraid to throw
the tables over.

This is your land, Woody meant that. He
wouldn’t be satisfied that we pay more than any country in the world
for health care, and almost forty percent of us don’t have access to
it.

This is your land, Woody meant that. He fought for unions
so that families could stay together and earn a decent living. Because
this is your land, you are not a guest or a visitor nor are you a
long-lost relative, you are the owner here. And if you're not being
treated as such, flip over the table and find out why.

This is
your land, Woody meant that. He advocated for peace and spoke against
war at every opportunity and with every fiber in his being. He would
not have quietly accepted two wars against third world peasants with
hi-tech, uranium-tipped tank shells and guided missiles.

You
don’t need to wonder what Woody would think about today’s troubles. His
legacy is so clear and his mind was so open you don’t need to wonder
what Woody would think about gay marriage or outsourcing. John
Steinbeck said, “Woody is just Woody. Thousands of people don’t know he
has any other name. He is just a voice and a guitar. He sings the songs
of a people and I suspect that he is, in a way, that people. Harsh
voiced and nasal, his guitar hanging like a tire iron on a rusty rim,
there is nothing sweet about Woody, and there is nothing sweet about
the songs he sings. But there is something more important for those who
still listen. There is the will of a people to endure and fight
oppression. I think we call this the American spirit.”

Woody
never goes out of style and will never go out of style; he is for you
and for your family. He is for the worker and the unemployed, the
disliked and mistrusted. He is a man of God but he isn’t religious. He
is tenacious, unbending, resolved, untiring and committed to a better
life for the American people, not because we need help or can’t do for
ourselves, but because this is our land and not an investment property
for special interests groups.

"I hate a song that makes you
think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes you think
that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No
good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young, or too fat or
too slim, too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or
poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling. I am out
to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of
blood. I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your
world and that if it has hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a
dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are, how you are
built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself
and in your work. And the songs that I sing are made up for the most
part by all sorts of folks just about like you. I could hire out to the
other side, the big money side, and get several dollars every week just
to quit singing my own kind of songs and to sing the kind that knock
you down still farther and the ones that poke fun at you even more and
the ones that make you think you've not any sense at all. But I decided
a long time ago that I'd starve to death before I'd sing any such songs
as that. The radio waves and your movies and your jukeboxes and your
songbooks are already loaded down and running over with such no good
songs as that anyhow." --Woody Guthrie