Action #1 Sells For $317,200

In the world of comics, and especially Superman fanatics like me, this is the freaking holy grail.

A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman has sold for $317,200 in an Internet auction. The previous owner of Action Comics No. 1 bought it for less than a buck.

It's one of the highest prices ever paid for a comic book, a likely testament to the volume's rarity and its excellent condition, said Stephen Fishler, co-owner of the auction site ComicConnect.com and its sister dealership, Metropolis Collectibles.

The winning bid for the 1938 edition, which features Superman lifting a car on its cover, was submitted Friday evening by John Dolmayan, drummer for the rock band System of a Down, according to managers at ComicConnect.com.

Just idle speculation on my part, but I bet if we weren't in a recession the price would have been way higher.

And we now know how else Joe Shuster paid the bills: Secret Identity: The Fetish Art of Superman's Co-creator Joe Shuster

/0810996340.01._PB_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg